Fitness & Training Manager
18 Month Maternity Leave Position
We are looking for a dynamic, supportive leader who excels in a fast paced administrative role. A successful applicant will be a self-starter who thrives at meeting the needs of internal and external customers in a solution based environment. You are willing to go above and beyond to achieve success for your team so they can shine, which in turn makes you shine.
Your innovative approach to success will also be demonstrated in your approach to the role, as you continually look for ways to grow and excel your team to the top, and keep an active pulse on how technology is changing within fitness and training.
Reports to: Aquatics & Fitness Director
- As a salary employee this position includes eligibility to accrue personal and sick time in addition to participation in Repsol Sport Centre’s RRSP employer matching Program and our flexible benefits package
- Free facility membership plus a variety of free and discounted programs & services for you and your family
- Employee recognition programs
- Professional Development assistance program available to support employee career growth.
- Annual staff events including BBQ’s, Corporate challenge, December holiday party and many more
- Free parking and close to transit with a C-train and bus stop steps away
What You’ll Do:
Team building/daily team support
- Provide leadership and direction to the fitness center staff, personal trainers and fitness equipment maintenance staff including hiring, training, mentoring, coaching, scheduling, and performance management.
- Lead, coach, mentor and empower employees to handle operational challenges and provide exceptional and legendary service.
- Provide training for development of staff to meet established job expectations and product and service knowledge standards including the delivery of job specific training for new hires.
- Act as the main point of contact for employee continued education and development.
- Be accountable for the performance of the fitness center staff, the personal trainers and equipment maintenance staff in meeting team objectives.
- Establish solid working relationships within the team and other departments to ensure a cohesive working environment.
- Work collectively with other Department Managers and Directors to set up employee departmental in-services on a recurring basis.
- Carry out and lead by example at a high level all employee performance standards & expectations.
- Backfill for frontline team members as required.
- Attend Leadership training when required.
- Rotate within the Fire Warden role with other building wide Managers and fill in for Duty Manager in emergency situations.
- Facilitate emergency procedures training for your teams.
- Act as a key information source by providing the Aquatics & Fitness Director with customer feedback, system enhancements, recruitment needs, training and development needs, ideas for rewards and recognition, new programs/services and on-going quality improvement.
- Actively communicate with both internal and external customers on special events, program and service changes and new incentives.
- Assist both our internal and external customers by proving prompt, sincere, and professional responses to questions and concerns that arise; striving to exceed our customers’ expectations.
- Communicate program cancellations and operational challenges and changes to the Marketing Team to reflect on-line media accordingly.
- Be the main point of contact for product knowledge and services available in the department.
- Assist and empower employees to handle customer complaints by providing a customer centric environment.
- Monitor comment cards, feedback and evaluation forms received by tracking and reviewing information, and following up in a timely manner and implement any follow up plans as required.
Planning and Organizing
- Participate in the development of the annual fitness and training operational and capital budgets in conjunction with the Aquatics & Fitness Director.
- Be accountable for meeting the budget targets for the department in terms of revenues and expenses.
- Creation of new business in sport specific training through targeted sales approaches.
- Work with the Sales and Marketing Team with preparation of promotional material
- Plan messaging regarding price increases, program changes, new initiatives, collaborating with marketing as needed.
- Identify key areas of service and program enhancement.
- Attend new program launches and finales.
- Audit the performance of each Personal Trainer on a regular basis and provide support and guidance as required.
- Monitor personal trainer plans and programming needs.
- Support department staff on-site during weekend, evening and daytime events
- Determine materials, equipment, facility bookings, supervision or instruction needs for each program.
- Organize, document and coordinate the equipment inventory as well as usage rates, purchasing, cleaning repair and maintenance of fitness equipment through the development and maintenance of a lifecycle plan and preventative maintenance plan.
- Attend promotional opportunities as needed, acting as a representative of Repsol Sport Centre.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key stakeholders in portfolio.
- Networks with other facilities within and external to Canadian centers with a focus on equipment and maintenance trends and standards as well as competitive intelligence.
- Update and maintain training manuals on policies, procedures and programs.
- Complete and submit payroll biweekly.
- Understand and apply all safety and emergency procedures to ensure a collective, streamlined and successful execution and ensure team is trained recurrently on procedures.
- Any other duties as assigned.
What You Need:
- Completed post-secondary education with preference given to Exercise Physiology, Kinesiology, Sport Administration or Sport Management graduates
- Related programs may be considered
- Masters level education is highly desirable
- A minimum of three to five years of experience in a management/supervisory and administrative role.
- Preference may be given to candidates with current certifications in CEP, AFLCA, canfitpro, CSEP, CSCS or other exercise and training certifications.
- Ambitious, driven, accountable, who thrives in a dynamic environment
- Ability to supervise and train employees, including organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
- Solid negotiation, conflict resolution, and people management skills.
- Previous experience with budgeting techniques and fiscal management.
- Strong problem identification and problem resolution skills.
- Excellent teamwork and team building skills as well as ability to work independently with little supervision.
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written) that allow adaptability to a variety of stakeholders.
- Proficient with Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Previous experience using Intelligenz and RecStaff is considered an asset
- Current certifications in CPR Level C and Standard First Aid are required
- CPR Level C certified within the last year
- Standard First Aid recertified within the last 2 years
- Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends to accommodate business needs as required.
- Preference will be given to candidates with the additional certifications in coaching, leadership and/or conflict resolution.